Karyl McBride, PH.D., P.C.
Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist
Print Karyl’s Vitae Here
Forty + Years Clinical Experience Specializing In
Sexual Abuse Treatment for Children and Adults, Victimization/Trauma Issues, Domestic Violence, Sexual Abuse Evaluations, Treatment and Evaluations of Children Who Sexually Act Out, Child and Adolescent Issues, Children and Adults of Narcissistic Parents
Specialized trauma treatment in Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing (EMDR)..
Marital and Relationship Issues, Co-Dependency, Family Therapy, Divorce Adjustment, Stepfamily Dynamics, Family of Origin Treatment.
Individual Adjustment Issues Related to Anxiety, Depression, and Life Transitions.
|Marriage & Family Therapist, Private Psychotherapy Practice, Arvada & Westminster, Colorado||1983-Present|
|Consultant, Private Forensic Consulting Practice, Arvada, Colorado||2001-Present|
|Expert Witness in Criminal and Civil Cases||1990-Present|
|School Psychologist, Adams County School District #12/Cherry Creek School District #5||1982-1985|
|Marriage & Family Counselor, Affiliated Psychological and Therapeutic Services, Greeley, Colorado||1980-1981|
Ph.D., Clinical Psychology with Interdisciplinary focus in Law and Child Development. Subspecialty in Child Sexual Abuse Program Development, The Union Institute, Cincinnati, OH, 1995
Ed.S., (Educational Specialist), School Psychology, University of Northern Colorado, Greeley, Colorado, 1982
M.A., Counseling Psychology, with emphasis in Child & Family Therapy, University of Northern Colorado, Greeley, Colorado, 1980
B.A., Elementary Education and Special Education, University of Wyoming, Laramie, Wyoming, 1973
Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, State of Colorado License #126, 1991
- Will the Drama Ever End? Untangling and Healing from the Harmful Effects of Parental Narcissism. Published by Atria Books, a division of Simon and Schuster, 2023.
- Will I Ever Be Free of You? How to Navigate a High-Conflict Divorce from a Narcissist, and Heal Your Family. Published by Atria Books, a division of Simon and Schuster, 2015.
- Will I Ever Be Good Enough? Healing the Daughters of Narcissistic Mothers. Published by Free Press, a division of Simon and Schuster. 2008.
- Online expert contributor to Psychology Today
- “Child Sexual Abuse Investigations: A Joint Investigative Approach Combining the Expertise of Mental Health and Law Enforcement Professionals,” a chapter of Policing in Central and Eastern Europe: Comparing First-Hand Knowledge with Experience from the West, Milan Pagon, Ed., 1996.
- “Child Sexual Abuse Investigations: A Joint Investigative Approach Combining the Expertise of Mental Health and Law Enforcement Professionals,” (Doctoral Dissertation), 1995.
- Child Sexual Abuse Investigations, a training manual for Law Enforcement, 1995.
Forensic Consulting & Training Practice
- Launched an independent consulting and training practice specifically focused on sex crimes and crimes against children, serving criminal and civil attorneys (prosecution & defense) and practitioners of family law.
- Provide overview of case strengths and weaknesses; advisement on child credibility issues; analysis of false allegations and parent alienation issues.
- Analyze law enforcement investigative interviews, including transcripts, audio recordings, and videotapes.
- Develop and apply case research. Provide analysis of reports prepared by professionals involved in the case.
- Assist in scripting questions for witnesses, defendants, victims, alleged perpetrators, and experts.
- Train professionals in child sexual abuse case dynamics and judicial system processes for these types of cases, as well as appropriate and accurate investigative interviewing processes.
- Provide clinical child sexual abuse evaluations
Law Enforcement Training & Program Development
- Develop and conduct training seminars for law enforcement and social services agencies, teaching appropriate methods in investigative interviewing of child victims of sexual abuse.
- Co-developed an incest treatment model with the Director of Redirecting Sexual Aggression, a sex offender program.
- Co-Founder, Arvada Child Advocacy Center, providing joint investigative interview techniques with therapists and detectives in the investigation of alleged child sexual abuse. Conducted pilot project and two research projects prior to the establishment of the center.
- Received “Special Service Award” from Commerce City Police Department, 1999.
- Invited Presenter at international police research conference, Ljubljana, Slovenia, 1996.
Teacher, Parent & Child Educational Programs
- Designed and implemented curriculum for parents of sexually abused children (third-party and incest).
- Led treatment programs for children under the age of 12 who act out sexually, including parental instruction and treatment.
- Designed and facilitated a child sexual abuse prevention program for Adams County District #12. Provided training for parents, teachers, and administrators.
- Completed a One-Year Family Therapy Program through the Family Therapy Training Center, University of Denver, 1990.
- Marital Relationship Training with Dr. Bruce Fisher (20 Hours), Family Relations Training Center, Boulder, Colorado, 1986.
- Child Abuse and Neglect Training (40 Hours), I-CAN Institute, Greeley, Colorado, 1983.
- Divorce Adjustment Training with Dr. Bruce Fisher (20 Hours), Family Relations Training Center, Boulder, Colorado, 1981.
- Structural Family Therapy Training with Salvador Minuchin (300 Hours), Philadelphia Child Guidance Clinic, Philadelphia, PA, 1980.
- Complete list of workshops, conferences, and seminars attended available upon request.
|School Psychologist, Adams County School District #1, Denver, Colorado||8/81-6/82|
|Family-Child Team, Larimer County Mental Health Center, Ft. Collins, Colorado||3/80-8/80|
|Elementary Counselor, Harris Elementary/Laurel Elementary, Fort Collins, Colorado||1/80-3/80|